Tuesday, June 20, 2017

I've decided to focus on poetry for a while and i thought that this might be a nice pace to share some, if, by any chance, someone happens to visit this blog.

Here is the latest poem I wrote, just last Friday. Let's see how many I can get here before the end of the summer.
Joe



Reflection

Papa held the camera
for all sixteen years that I knew him.

Papa is on the other side of the blanket
where the five of us mug.
Mom, the boys, and me
make scary faces
and he stuffs them into his camera.

At the far end of the room,
Papa’s flash douses the sixteen candles
on the birthday cake
Mom sets before me.
“Puff your cheeks but don’t blow.”
the camera demands.
In the dark, it’s glass eye is all I can see.

Having shown us how to grab the knot in the rope
and swing out over the icy mountain creek
down at the Hollow,
Papa snaps JB’s laughing terror
at letting go.

Papa caught graduations, track meets, driving lessons, first dates
but also
homework sessions, dish washing, TV snacking,

then, his heart stopped.

And the only photos of him we have

are us.

--Joe Bellacero

No comments:

Post a Comment